Curiosity continues to get me into big, fat rats nests. Let
me cure your wonder and explain exactly what brings me to saying this
statement. Most people that have known me, know that I’ve fantasized about
getting dreadlocks for a good while now. When I came to Africa, I was educated
about the fact that most girls here plait their hair on a normal basis
(braiding extensions into their hair). This regular activity that they do
intrigued me… in fact, it struck my curiosity nerve! I had to do it, to
experience what they experience every few weeks. And plus, it’s so close to
getting dreadlocks… without the permanent factor! ;) this excited me. So, from
two months ago I planned to get my hair plaited right before I’d go, to
surprise everyone back home! On Saturday, this plan took flight. I had the
coffee brown (stuuuupid) extensions, and the pro plaiter lady ready to go. Six
hours of pulling, and what felt like the ripping of my scalp, my braids were
finished. I took my excited self to the bathroom to check out my cool, new dew.
HAHA! When I reached the mirror, I wished I hadn’t. the regret flooded through
my entire being as I stared at this foreign reflection. It was, to say the least,
completely horrendous. Now, of course I couldn’t have a break down… I held
myself together and tried to make what was a face in horror, one of surprise
and glee as I thanked the lady who slaved away on my head for six hours
straight. But, the truth was, I looked like a balding, pale monkey. Despite my
feelings, I had to humble myself and continue with the days activities. I had
to walk to church to meet with the kids! Each step of the way, I had to tell
myself, that I just wasn’t used to it yet as each person I passed by stared at
me like a purple elephant was standing before their eyes. I finally reached the
church, self confidence still far below sea level. But when reaching, I had to
find the truth from someone I could rely on to give it… because, after 4 months
of living within this culture, I know better than to believe every compliment I
received, saying how good it looked, and how “smart” I was! So, I went to
someone who I trusted would be blunt and honest despite my feelings; a muzungu
man, named Justin. I approached him with a devious smile, first thing he said
was, “what did you do?”, that simple phrase told me a whole lot, but what
really brought me over the edge was the rating he gave me… a 5! Oh goodness, I
didn’t care at this point how long it took doing these braids, all I cared
about was getting these babies out! So, with the help of the kids at Zana I
started deplaiting my freshly plaited hair! This had to be one of the most
painful experiences I’ve ever experienced. My scalp took the braiding pretty
well, but THIS was almost unbearable… I just had to squeeze my eyes shut and
bite my fingers holding back the screaming that was on my lips. It felt as if
there were a multitude of birds attacking and pulling at my already raw head.
After about an hour of this torture, the last extension slipped off my hair to
the ground. My hair was a BIG, FAT rats nest now. But nothing could bother me
at this point, my hair was exactly how it should always be; natural,
extension-free, and blonde! Never have I been so thankful to have the hair I
have now! God knew what He was doing in giving me this blonde color. It fits my
skin perfectly, and it explains why I do such things like these. Hahaha.
Lets just say, I’m not too thrilled about getting dreadlocks
now…
Tessara, this reminds me of the story of Mazie the bird from Dr. Seuss. Mazie adorned herself purely for vanity, but the result was the same. She realized she was "wonderfully and beautifully made" exactly as she was. :)
ReplyDelete-Elizabeth W.
Thanks for info, lol, and you do have good writing skills. So to sum up your trip to Uganda in one phrase someone might say, "Tessara learned that dreadlocks are not for her." hahaha, just kidding.. Can't wait to have u back, well pray for a safe trip!
ReplyDelete-guesswho
Tessara,
ReplyDeleteThis was darling and dreadful all at the same time.
I do hope you got a photo of the dreadful.
At least for the mama that shares that same beautiful blonde hair.