Friday, June 8, 2012


“Mukama yebasibwe! (Praise God)….

I’m leaving on Wednesday, so I’d like to thank God for allowing me to come here to Uganda, and to serve along side you all… attack of the tears its been such a joyful time! And I wanted to encourage you all to always continue to meet together worshipping God. I know I’ve come, not understanding a word each time. But when I come, I am ALWAYS encouraged… because I know that you guys are joining together for the purpose of knowing God more, and to worship Him whole heartedly!

I wanted to share one of my favorite Psalms… Psalm 116.

I love you all.”

As I sit here, 4 hours away from returning “home”, I can’t help myself from searching my mind, striving to cling on to all the memories I made. I know it’ll be nearly impossible for me to remember everything, I just don’t want them to go away! That farewell was given the night before I left, the night of my last bible study! tears were ever on the rims of my eyes that night, and whenever my mind would wander to the reality of my departure, those tears would silently stream down my face. A big portion of my heart now belongs to Uganda… and having to leave… the place, the culture, and the people broke my heart! –of course—
The funny thing is…
About 4 months ago, during my first nights of being in Africa, I was HORRIBLY homesick. I would survive throughout the day, and then right when I would close the door to my room, when I was in the private, lets just say there was MAJOR floodings! Hahaha! I wanted to go home so bad that I even started a weekly countdown on my computer. (currently @ 0/16! Hahaha). I was SO looking forward to this day that I’m experiencing now. Nevertheless, despite my longing, I still kept asking God to give me a love for the people, and the culture!
And things changed, I’m not sure when exactly… but my heart definitely changed. God gave me wonderful relationships with the girls my age, and with my “co-workers”! He also gave me such a joy, every day I would go to baby class. Its not the easiest thing teaching and caring for these young kids, and often times, I would get SO exhausted, yet I still had a joy! What an answer to prayer that was!
And the bible studies with the girls… I am so overwhelmed with thankfulness to God for allowing me to lead these precious girls! I know, that God was there every time I would sit down to share with them, it was obvious! They were always attentive, grasping onto every word I said! I just hope that through those times, they will have a new vigor in knowing more of who God is! And I was thinking about it, thinking of what I was gonna do when I would return. I devoted my time and myself to these girls… I want to do the same thing in the bay area… In fact, I want the rest of my life to be a selfless service to God and the people I’m with, whether I’m in Africa, America, or AUSTRALIA! “make my life a prayer to you, I want to do what you want me to!” –keith green. (man, I love his lyrics!).
The truth is, I’m not a SUPER CHRISTIAN just because I went to serve in Africa… I’m still a wretched, fearful, weak, sinner in need of His grace, EVERY single morning. And let me tell you, I don’t know HOW many times God had to remind me of this, because I would start to have an independent mind set. In Paul’s word’s, “not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus.”. I pray and hope that People will glorify Christ alone through hearing about my adventures… because it really wasn’t me at all!
On my last day in Africa, I was sitting next to one of the new muzungu girls that had come, grading and preparing books for all the kids (yes, teachers have to manually prepare all the bookwork!), chatting about everything possible as always… somehow getting to the subject of how we need to live our lives for God alone! And kk said something that specifically stuck out to me, “our lives need to be CONSUMED by Christ Jesus! We may lose special people in our lives… but that ultimately won’t
matter, because we have all we need in Him, and He is all we need!” man, I don’t know how many times I have had that preached to me, and it still doesn’t get old!

That prayer should be on my lips, in my mind and in my heart from the moment I wake to when I close my eyes in slumber.

Heres some lyrics to a song we sang in choir one time,
 “I believe you’re my healer, I believe you are all I need. I believe you’re my portion, I believe your more than enough for me… Jesus your all I need.”

So, FINALLY, after all that rambling, yes… I am sad about leaving Uganda, but I am looking forward to what God has for me in the future. And again, as Paul says, “forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.”

Amina! And thank you for joining me on my adventures to Africa.


1 comment: