Thursday, February 2, 2012

Afrique de l'Est (East Africa).

The once figment of my imagination and what once was just an IDEA I had in my head has now evolved into an official piece of paper, a ticket that will grant me the way to Kampala, Uganda on February 15 and back home on June 5. It all materialized so speedy fast it seems. I definitely shouldn't be surprised, because God is faithful (Psalm 3:3-4 "But you, Lord are a shield around me, my glory, the One who lifts my head high. I call out to the Lord, and He answers me from His holy mountain."). There are multiple passages in the Bible where it portrays this attribute of God. I simply sought God's will for this desire of mine, and as far as i know, He's answered. Lets start from where it all began...
Once upon a time... in the dry summers air, through the valleys, and far from the coast at the mountain of Hope, a gathering of young, unruly children assembled. unknown of what was TRULY to come, but ready to take whatever was thrust their way. Specifically, there was a girl amongst the mass, a girl whose hair gleamed in the sunlight (hahaa). She didn't realize how this trip would change the whole cause for her existence. In fact, this girl was torn, confused, & in a hopeless state... but of course nobody knew, she didn't even admit it to herself. DANGER. As time ticked by, as many wars were fought, we come to the pinnacle of this assembling; for this specific girl at least. God had already stripped her walls of pride down, she was ready, ready to join an eternal army. Through the testimony of a soldier, she finally realized how alone she actually was. All her life, she'd lived, loved and revered HERSELF, instead of her CREATOR! Oh, the crushing realization hit. But WAIT... she sat, and despite all her past years of outright rejection to her maker, He was there still. arms open, waiting... waiting... and waiting. patient, as He'd always been from eternity. As she pondered this truth, the surrounding soldiers burst forth in worshipful song to their Master that flooded her entire being, "My chains are gone, I've been set free, My God, my Savior has ransomed me, And like a flood His mercy rains, Unending love, Amazing grace...". God loved her, despite all her selfishness and rebellion. Overcome with thankfulness for this amazing act of grace displayed, and disgust over herself, she finally released her burden and surrendered all of herself to the One who was, is, and always will be so completely worthy. As tears flowed down the face of this girl, overflowing joy replaced utter misery, everlasting hope replaced her hopelessness, and true satisfaction found only in Jesus Christ replaced the temporary satisfaction she once thrived on. "Amazing grace how sweet the sound, thats saved a wretch like me, i once was lost, but now am found, was blind but now i see."  
This, if you hadn't figured out already ("hair that gleamed in the sunlight" haha), was me. This was when God decided to give me a new set of eyes, and change my whole outlook and reason for living. The "beginning" of my life long (and beyond) journey with thee Savior. Not long after this event took place, an opportunity for a short term missions trip came up! To a familiar place, Uganda! I was instantly excited, reminiscing on all the times I had as a spunky, ignorant, little fourth grader when my family moved there for a brief year. I thought of how it'd be perfect, since i semi-knew the people, and culture. I hastily filled out the application to go, and submitted it with little prayer, and with little to no seeking of Gods actual will in my life. Turns out, He didn't have that in His plans for me at that specific moment, and instead we went on a short term missions trip to Tijuana summer of 2010 (which, was so amazing). 
Time went on, God kept giving me new eye prescriptions, and life continued to rush by [like leaves being taken by gusts of wind]. But, through all the change, I still had that idea of Uganda in the back of my head. And eventually, i started praying more faithfully about this "idea". Leaves traveled in the wind again, and graduation all of a sudden came swooping into my life. along with the realization that I had to figure out WHAT IN THE WORLD was I going to do with myself after this happenstance. That small file (going to Uganda) God still held in that back, dusty corner of my head surfaced, and I thought i'd look into it. I found out-- much to my surprise and delight-- that the church we had gone to all those years ago, had founded a school for the kids in the area that couldn't quite pay for normal public school. They make their own uniforms, they get fed once a day, and receive an awesome education (incorporated with the gospel). (answer to prayer [1]) I was already interested in going to college and focusing on becoming an elementary school teacher. Going on, I first talked with my dad (answer to prayer [2]), who loved the idea of me going, advising me to follow/go and to obey God's calling... I then e-mailed Emma Kiwanuka (pastor) if they had a need for help at their school, and whether or not he thought it wise for me to go! (answer to prayer [3]) Within 24 hours, Emma replied back with a lovely invitation for me to go stay with him, along with a tid bit of how they could use help at the school. OPEN DOORS. All i could see at that moment, but i continued to be in prayer regarding this trip... learning every day to trust in Him with my life, whether I would go or not, being content with whatever He brings my way (Philippians 4:11-13). I needed $2,000, and that felt like a long shot.
At last the long awaited moment arrived, the day i flew the coop (the coop of all schooling prior to college.. not home [that'll happen soon enough]), graduation. Finally I took steps out in faith, moving towards going to Uganda around January/February by letting people know of my desires to go to Uganda and help. The rest is history (hahaha). Honestly though, within 2 weeks of getting those letters out, God used so many different people to provide $900+. Then about a week later, with major help and guidance from a friend, we held a yard sale... and through that, $800+ was provided. --> (another answer to prayer [4]) <-- and there has been MANY more. 
I guess that brings us back to the start of this massive blog entry. The process that started with a simple idea that evolved into a ticket to Uganda, Africa.
Through this blog, i will post prayer requests, updates, and most likely some extremely random posts..
SO, I hope you will all join me on this NEW adventure I am about to embark on, Lord willing. 

2 comments:

  1. I am in tears as I marvel how the Lord has burdened your heart and paved the way for this undertaking. I know Allison will surely miss her childhood friend, longtime bestfriend as you take upon this calling/Adventure. We surely will continue to pray for the Lords guidance and fruitfulness. For Christ's Glory.
    the santamaria's

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you had a convo with me about this desire of yours to go help in Uganda.. It really encouraged me seeing how God's work in you.. I remember that's all you talked about- helping in these kids' education there.. This Tessara that I see now was so different than the Tessara way back in TFC.. That's God's amazing work in you!!

    ReplyDelete