And here I am, alive and well. Are you surprised I have not been speared by the natives, or eaten alive by wild pigmies? The sovereign God is holding me, and caring for ME, a selfish… pride-ridden girl as I.
Five days ago, I embarked on this long unknown adventure. I had no idea what was coming around the corner, as I stepped onto that first plane leaving the bay area. I was filled with so many emotions. Excitement about going to serve in Uganda, fear in not knowing what was going to happen, and sadness as the realization hit that I would not see my parents/ family/friends faces physically for four months. But I walked on anyways, despite how I felt. God had provided the means, and He provided the strength in that very moment… oh and many more.
So, the adventure continues… as I step on to the NEXT plane in New York heading to Amsterdam! I was feeling quite lonely at this point, as I had not spoken to any person the whole time I was there, so I eagerly made a point to talk to my seat mate(s); a British couple on their way home from a brief vacation in the states.
Arriving in Amsterdam, I said my farewells to my new friends and got a surprise escort from one of the hostesses on the plane to the “junior section” AKA “nursery” in the Amsterdam airport. Hahaha but I was so thankful for this hostesses company and reassuring care.
Boarding the flight to Entebbe, Uganda I was fascinated as I watched the different people walk past me that were going to the same place as I was, mostly. Pondering various questions like, I wonder…why they’re going to Africa? If he’s going home? If she feels more confident going since her mom is with her? HAHA dumb questions like that. I sat next to a man from South Africa (white), and had an interesting talk with him on whether or not people are mainly good (born good). As 6-7 hours pass by I arrive in Uganda, despite my unbelief.
Dazed and a bit fearful I got my visa, and gathered my luggage and walked to where everyone gets swooped away… and thankfully Emma, Joel, and Richard were right there waiting.
Even though every time I took a seat on a new plane tears would form as I felt the absence of comfort more and more… over all, the trip was pretty smooth!
And now, finally, I am here in the great, big country of Africa. Adapting to the culture—that is, all the staring, “muzungu” (white person) calling, and touching. All the potatoes, plantains, and beans. And all the language differences (Inc. strong, STRONG accents). I’ve been going to the Zzana (learned that its actually TWO z’s) school every day since I’ve arrived, and I’ve recognized all my old friends, and have met a lot of new ones! In fact, I was surprised to see on my first day of being there a recent high school graduate “muzungu” guy from NORTH Carolina who had just arrived about 8 days before me to work in the school! It’s been nice getting to talk with someone normally, without struggling to figure out what he means… and who’s in a similar boat as me.
I’ve been in the “baby” class AKA kindergarten, and you can all pray that God would use me there… that I would be more of a help than a distraction (because I feel mostly like a distraction right now).. i'll be teaching social development on monday for the kids (AAH.. lets hope they understand. i'm going to have to be as ANIMATED as possible! HAHA). And keep praying, that my heart would be always hungering for the word of God.
Thank you all for your prayers!!
AND HERE… are some pictures of my life here in AFRICA! (sorry for such the delay!)
MY BED (mosquito net and all. such a luxury.)
BABY CLASSROOM
THE KIDS DURING BREAK (snack)
waiting to wash hands. f. left (Laticia, praise, rebekkah)
KIMULI, KEVIN (yes, they go by their last names here... but i'm a rebel and call him kevin.)
RINA
SOLOMON
JEREMIAH
MARIA
MBAARIZA
NAMANJE
SHEMIAH (this kid is a troublemaker)
some boys from the upper classes f.Left (patrick, forgot, and forgot) haha
some girls from P7 (7th graders) <-- they're not all necessarily the same age though, they put them in the appropriate classes... theres even a 20 year old in this particular class!
WINNIE
ahahaa, they call me SARA here. ;)
one of my old friends from 8 years ago... Rebekkah.
RICHARD (he stays at the kiwanuka's house for the whole week, and teaches at the school too... he's joel's friend)
RUTH
SHAROOM (look at those cheeks ;) )
Fantastic Tessara! It reminds me of myself so long ago on my first trip. Praying for you. and... there are no dumb questions :) Love you Bandabira bonna (greet everyone for me) Are you learning some Luganda? Please try, it was by the far the most important/useful thing I did!
ReplyDeleteSarsar, I am praying for you girl. This is so cool. I pray God uses you in mighty ways there. I am so proud of you girl and it is great to read about all the things you are doing and see pictures. Love you and miss you very much <3
ReplyDelete