Wednesday, April 4, 2012

slapping buffalo's and other shenanigans.


The “slapping of a buffalo” is a phrase used by most Africans referring to when someone has spoken broken English/bad English. For example, “you have to get hot one?” “I want to sing a thong.” “How is you?”… A person that has spoken any one of these phrases has just slapped a buffalo… big time. The detection of a “slap to a buffalo” has become quite the joke around here. Some friends and I are so accustomed to hearing it; our ears perk up whenever it happens, whether we’re in bible studies, in normal conversations, or in a class. I’ve even catched myself slapping buffalo’s from time to time (hahahaha).
A part from the “slapping of buffalo’s”, there really hasn’t been much action ‘round here. Actually, let me rephrase that rewiiiinding. A part from the “slapping of buffalo’s”, there hasn’t been much NEW action, but in fact every day I have to prepare myself for anything that may come, AFRICA IS CRAZY.

I have some praises that I would like to mention. This past Sunday was the second time I got to meet with the kids that resign at Zana and have a bible study! I thought the first time was great, but I feel like things are just getting better and better! I love the freedom and time we get to have together, scattered on the lawn that’s covered with skimp grass to study the word of God. Every time, God fills me with His holy spirit, and I plead with them the importance of surrendering their whole lives to God… and I can only pray that (1) the born again Christians are encouraged greatly, and (2) for the ones that don’t know God, that their eyes would finally be open to their rebellion against God and His all sufficient grace. I feel so blessed to have time with these precious kids.
On top of that, Thursdays have proved to be quite the ministry day. Lunchtime is the Colossians study with the older girls (senior 1&2), and then in the afternoon (4:30) is fellowship with the younger girls (primary). At times, I feel so unprepared for this work, because at times when I meet with the older girls they can ask me a lot of intelligent, hard questions that I can’t answer. But, it just causes me to think more deeply, and to study the word more! Pray that I would have wisdom to be able to answer all of they’re questions.

As the designated art teacher for the baby class, through various craft projects I’ve had them do over the past two weeks, I’ve turned one of the walls into the “baby class garden” in the classroom! And today, I had the kids make “sun tambourines” with paper plates, beans, and staples! The result was a LOT of loud noise; thank goodness it was the last subject of the day.

On Saturday, I attended a wedding. Woke up at 7, and went to get ready with friends at 8 (which was entirely too early). We thought we had to get a ride from another friend who we thought was leaving early. So, we waited and waited from 11-2 at the church. Pacing back and forth through the dirt roads, trying to be careful to not do anything too strenuous in fear of sweating all our make-up off. At 2:30 we made the best decision yet, and took ourselves to the wedding. In high heels and curled hair we trudged to the main road to catch a taxi. From the taxi, we then had to board boda boda’s (motorcycle transport)… by the time we finally reached the ceremony I’m sure we looked as if we survived a hurricane, dusky skin, wind blown hair, tear streaked faces. But, we had arrived, and that was the good fact. It was so interesting getting to experience how culturally weddings are different yet exactly the same. When the bridesmaids (there were no groomsmen) started walking down the isle, I knew that it was going to be a long one. It probably took them about 15 minutes to arrive at the altar; I thought it’d never end. The rest of the ceremony proved to be very similar to American weddings, except that they didn’t kiss at the end. How disappointing. After they officially got married, we moved outside for the reception, and out of nowhere a massive, dark cloud loomed over us & it started pouring. Everyone ran… desperate to get to the church, to safety and warmth! Africans don’t like the rain, but I on the other hand don’t mind getting wet at all… so I took my time. (haha). But once, they had moved everything inside, and the reception celebrations started the power went out. (I think God was testing out how flexible this new couple really was.) I felt so bad for them. But, thank God for generators (again), the reception continued and the food was served (a LOT of good cultural foods) and all was right in the world again!

And by God’s grace, I’m still in Africa alive and well (fairly well), serving God with the best of my ability (most of the time). Just like a simple, fresh, cool breeze can bring such serenity amidst the blazing sun that beats down on our necks for the majority of the day, is like when God completely overcomes you with His refreshing peace, joy, and love amidst all the evil we are faced with from the moment we open our eyes to start our day.

God bless each and every one of you.  

2 comments:

  1. WOW praise God!!!
    this is so funny and well written! I applaud you Tessara!

    ReplyDelete