Sunday, April 22, 2012

the holidays 🚙


DID YOU KNOW? It’s illegal in Alaska to whisper in someone’s ear while they’re moose hunting.
Just a fun fact to start this update off with… SUPER important information. J

Africa has disposed in me some addictions, yet has also supplied new ones in replacement. And I’d like to think they are HEALTHIER addictions (if that’s at all possible). Instead of having to drink coffee every day, lately I can’t go a day without eating raw mangoes or avocado’s with salt. WOOHOO for healthy African food addictions!

This past week was the last week of school before the “holiday” days—a full 3 weeks of freedom from SCHOOL (the glory days)-- where all the students get to go back to their homes, relax and forget about the worries of writing a paper in time, or in baby class terms, whether or not they’re holding the pencil correctly. Not only the students get a break, but the teachers do as well! Some much needed time away from the constant stress of keeping kids in line (a.k.a beating [not what you think—spanking] the unruly) and so on. Although, as I’ve observed, a lot of the teachers take advantage of the break to go back to school themselves; to expand there knowledge, so in the future they can have better opportunities hopefully. I found this extremely awesome that the teachers choose to spend this designated holiday time to study on their own! It just goes to show, how dedicated these teachers really are… which spurs me on. and as I observe these fellow teachers, They teach ME what it really means to be a teacher, which someday I hope I’ll hold such things principle as I pursue this specific career.
A week ago, I didn’t want to think about the holidays… just because, I didn’t know what In the world I was supposed to do for 3 weeks, the main purpose of me coming here was to work at Zzana, and here comes the dreaded days of NO WORK (idle time), not to mention my much-loved ministries I get to lead with all the kids would have to be put on hold. But, then I actually thought about it, and realized “IM IN AFRICA. I need to experience this dang place. I have to go enjoy this beautiful country that I’m in.” These past two months I’ve been cooped up in the same common area, Zzana, nfufu (the “neighborhood” where I stay), and Kampala. Thus, next week, 3 girl friends and I will head to Jinja to ride elephants, bungee jump off of waterfalls, and kayak down the nile river. okay, maybe we won’t do things THAT crazy (I’ve been forbidden to do such things, much to my disappointment.).  Jinja is located next to the famous Nile river, and is known for its tourist attraction, of course. So, I’m excited to be able to go experience the magnificence of the nile, and have the freedom to chill with my homies. While we’ll only spend 3 days in Jinja, there is still more than 2 weeks of free schedule, that I have to fill.
I wanted to find out some families that needed assistance with their kids. With God’s providence, Starting tomorrow, I’ll be going up to a certain missionary family’s house to help out with homeschooling the kids, which I’ll do for the majority of this week!
Also, at church today I got to talking with a man who runs a certain orphanage and school off of Jinja road. I knew right away when he brought this up, that I wanted to explore this ministry and somehow be a part of it for at least a couple of days. So, I’m praying that God can use me in these area’s, and that my time of “freedom” will be spent in the most profitable ways, according to His will!

Besides the hasty planning of filling my holiday schedule with “important” things ;) God has had to remind me that I need to be silent, and listen to His voice. I think He was trying to get this into my brain for a couple weeks now, I find it so easy to become distracted and caught up by this physical life, that I can go days without giving God any of my time. Last night (Saturday), I had a choice to either stay at home or go to choir with all my friends (btw, I’ve stepped down from the choir ministry for now due to various reasons.). for some reason, I decided to go with them to the church (knowing it would be a long night—they tend to stay late)… But God brought me there for a reason, I spotted one of the church ladies heading to the primary classrooms and remembered that on Saturday evenings she holds a prayer meeting. With sudden urgency, I hurried after to join her in prayer, knowing that I needed to do exactly that. We spent an hour and a half earnestly praying that our own love for Him would be rekindled, for the ministry leaders in church, and for the upcoming Sunday (congregation, teaching etc…). I was truly blessed by this time of prayer, and God restored my heart! Praise the Lord.

2 Corinthians 12:9 "And He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.' Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me."

I love you all, and miss you!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tessara, Its cool how that happened, a bunch of us just had a prayer meeting saturday night and we were praying for you over there!!
    Continue to cling to Him, He will provide the strength and wisdom you need!!!
    Love, Marc

    ReplyDelete